Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Bros Before Hos: The Guy Code" by Michael Kimmel

After reading this passage, I realized a lot of different things about myself as a male. I noticed how men set certain standards for themselves that they must live up to. I also noticed how seriously men take situations some times. I honesty believe that men have a harder life than women. Men have a certain amount of pride that they believe they must maintain throughout life. When a man hears their name mixed into a comment about "faggots" or "sissies" it makes them want to be tougher. I believe that this stems from a mixture of pride and emotion. Most guys claim that they never show emotion, but can't one conclude that pride itself tis an emotion? I believe that pride is a emotion that most men don't even realize they are showing. When it comes to fear or admitting to weakness, men are ready to step up and defend their pride. Wouldn't you say thats a emotion that they are afraid to put on harms way?

In terms of homophobia, I don't believe I am homophobic but I don't usually deal with homosexuals. I admit I have maybe one or two homosexual friends. Other than them I don't really know that many homosexuals. Nevertheless, when I do meet homosexuals, I give them the same respect as I would give any other person. I don't look at them any differently than I would anyone else. After all, everyone is human.

"Bros Before Hos: The Guy Code" was a good reading. It helped me to understand a lot more about homophobia. I always thought of it as just not liking homosexuals. I never looked at it the fear of other men-men who are not considered " as tough" as you are. Overall, it was informative in a sense that it helped me to realize a lot more about myself and men in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment